What is bird abatement? Some species of birds are damaging to your business. A bird infestation can discourage potential customers – and employees will find it difficult to enjoy lunch on a patio overrun by pigeons. They also cause expensive property damage. Bird droppings are corrosive and debris from nests can clog drains and gutters.
Bird Removal Methods
Depending on where you are located, different bird control methods may be more effective. Here are some common removal methods that could help you be rid of those pesky birds.
- Trapping – Using a trap and some food is a great way to catch birds trapped inside your roof. Just be sure you know what to do with them once you catch them!
- Decoys – Placing fake predators, like owls and hawks, on your roof is a clever way to trick birds into staying away.
- Destroy The Nest – If birds are flocking to your home, there might be a nest somewhere either on or inside your roof or chimney. If you remove it, those birds will soon be in search of a new home.
- Ultrasonics – Using high-pitched sounds have been known to work. Although blasting loud sounds might have a negative effect on surrounding businesses and people nearby.
Preventing Birds From Coming Back
You finally get the birds to leave, now how do you stop them from coming back? This step is just as important as getting rid of them. Here are some of the most effective methods to try:
- Netting – Block off the birds completely from any roof with netting. Just be careful when hanging it!
- Perch-Repellant Gel – This special gel feels sticky and tacky to birds and is usually applied to ledges so birds feel uncomfortable and fly away.
- Anti-Roosting Strips/Bird Spikes – These strips are often put on ledges of commercial buildings. They contain small metal pins that deter birds from landing on your roof.
- Bird Repellent Spray – To keep birds away from your roof for good, your best bet is to apply a non-toxic bird repellent spray that is mild enough to use around people. When applied consistently, bird repellent is the best method for sending those pest birds in search of a new home. Although many repellents may be effective, not all are created equal. It’s important to find one that is right for commercial business use and won’t impose a threat to customers and employees nearby.
Doing it yourself? Get more information on the best bird deterrents.
Need help? Contact Genesis. We do Pest Control and Bird Abatement.